Saturday, April 16, 2011

Actual Poem

I would like to sit upright now, please.
To be propped in that position
to pay someone to move me, to move
my hands over the keyboard. I would
like to type this word, please, he said.
When the writing got to be too much
there would be sticky finger foods
you know, like some of those orange
candy wedge things with sugar dust.
I would pay someone to lift one of those into
their mouth and I would chew air
are you enjoying that? he'd ask.
I would also let him wash his body
after snacking and oh say can you see
I'm clean now?
he'd ask. I would
have to think of images and find words
to describe them to communicate things
to the people around me so I could feel connected
in some way. That I would say
rise up and someone would be there
to lift me and then say sleep and someone
would shave me thinking I'd said
something else, it is a risk I'll have to take.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Kimberly said...

I love this, Todd!

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home