Friday, August 06, 2010

Splash State

I don't want to alarm anyone but there
is some holiday cheer on the loose in here.
When I walk in my room the air feels stifling.
I think it is my good spirit writing these words.
Dear Spirit I'd like you to please do the laundry
and spray the floor so it smells like sandalwood
and lemons. Whatever self-reflection does
it helps you to know what to wear. Are you feeling
joy when you think of this morning? Is there
anything in my hair I should know about?
A sad sweetness in the summer heat building
a rhythm of sweet solemnity, please concentrate.
Beaming yellow in codeine city. Sitting on the stoop
while the traffic oozes by like a series of slow sea creatures.
I love you but I want to be hypnotized with my head
encased in cement with a tiny straw to breathe through.
I could disappear inside a gourd of ashes. Before I went
to the pool I drew an anchor on my back with the aid
of a small hand mirror. I am just giving the people
what the people want. I see right now is no more
than what it is. What are you up to?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm up to no good! Love the poem TC.

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sloooooow codeine sea creatures....oh nooooooooooooo! i love this one. happy friday, mr. poet!

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home