Monday, November 01, 2010

The Weather Forecast

I predict rain and more of it
landing all around us. I think that is true,
that I can say that rain is coming with a certain degree
of certainty. I'm not in over my head with this
clarvoyant thing. I can anticipate seasonal changes
like the bridges between gaps unexpectedly growing
broader and making it difficult to kiss
the people I most need to kiss. What I want
is just something gripping and glamorous to engulf me
where I might actually be airborne for a spell
and then grounded again and better for having flown.
The waiting room is abuzz with the idea
that the days are growing shorter,
that people are moving closer to the water,
that a certain wave of trust is rising on the horizon
that should be interpreted as literal, as though
it were a letter written to a friend. I love
being with you even if your predictions rarely
pan out as well as mine. Your errors are amusing
because they involve me and I can see further
into the future than you. Now that the clocks
will be set back in time you will come to know this aspect
of my personality which is all about levity
and animal fat and rain. I'll miss you if you let me.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes!

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's raining. You're good, kiddo.

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Kelsey said...

Completely, perfectly beautiful. Todd, this is my most favorite of all the poems of yours I have read. Which number more than you know. : )

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home