Sunday, June 07, 2009

Walt Whitman

Whenever I run down to Dumbo under The Brooklyn Bridge, I always make a point of stopping at the landing and reading this passage from Walt Whitman's "Crossing Brooklyn Ferry." Call me sentimental, but no matter how many times I stand there on those wooden planks reading this, I cry a bit, with joy and connectedness. Enjoy. Happy Sunday.

"Flow on, river! flow with the flood-tide, and ebb with the ebb-tide!
Frolic on, crested and scallop-edg’d waves!
Gorgeous clouds of the sun-set! drench with your splendor me, or the men and women generations after me;
Cross from shore to shore, countless crowds of passengers!
Stand up, tall masts of Mannahatta!—stand up, beautiful hills of Brooklyn!
Throb, baffled and curious brain! throw out questions and answers!
Suspend here and everywhere, eternal float of solution!
Gaze, loving and thirsting eyes, in the house, or street, or public assembly!
Sound out, voices of young men! loudly and musically call me by my nighest name!
Live, old life! play the part that looks back on the actor or actress!
Play the old role, the role that is great or small, according as one makes it!"

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

My brain. It's throbbing. That was great.
Thanks

11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home