Sunday, May 17, 2009

Liminal Point

You might be thinking of me
with something novel in my hair like feathers
but I'm not flying back yet
I'm relaxing animals with my unforgiving heat
bland and expansive as a penny
taped to a falcon or a woman named Venus in fur
If there were a train and I hopped it
there would be a lot of people saying big whoop
or none at all I wouldn't be missed
I'd have to make things up if something went wrong
I'd have to get over my pants and put
a shirt on my back -- I can do that well
enough to go unnoticed for a month or so
in the new world where I might assist
you with relaxation techniques
like spooning and water breaks
nibbling a sandwich in the office
facets of controlling grief are covered
in my seminars in my nights
thumping your blue chest for signs of progress
think about refreshments as fuel
avoid boredom by never doing anything bad
ever again win the trust of people
breathe on them learn to smell them
for signs of distress so that you can address
it in your free time certain things
you see on your body are really there
so you should remove them with the
help of a professional how do you compare
the brewing of sleep for me with your wakefulness
a horizontal kiss so fleeting and secure
so light comes off me and settles on
the people near me the final flourish
is the feathering in and then you can't sleep
all over me on the telephone because I'm gone.

3 Comments:

Blogger Annandale Dream Gazette said...

Nice.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Joanna said...

"win the trust of people
breathe on them learn to smell them
for signs of distress so that you can address
it in your free time"

I like. Thank you.

11:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this is the most gorjus poem I've ever read of yours.

8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home