Monday, April 09, 2007

Poem for the day that seems to last a long time

What sweet word comes from your lips
with the soft music of spacing out on a train?
Is all the hurried music a sign?
Do you know what it's like
to find cash money in someone's hair?
Do you think in breaths, then in words?
Someone's bones are holding up the plump light
that just so happens to be intruding
on this room when I should be asleep.
You could have air and by air I mean:
move over so we can call
the sweetness an errant visitation.
Remember how those letters
were formed by your hand? The hand
that held the hammer that broke
the house? Remember how you
were happy at the thought --
remarkably so? I actually turned
around and waved to you
because I knew you were going
to throw a water balloon at my head.

4 Comments:

Blogger TFO said...

I like your poetry Todd. I was a fan of Drunken Boat too...or still am i suppose.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Todd Colby said...

I know what it's like to find cash in someone's hair--

L.Bear

5:55 PM  
Blogger Todd Colby said...

Hi TFO:

Did Drunken Boat ever play near you?

2:31 PM  
Blogger TFO said...

yeah we saw you (my wife Kelly and sister-in-law Heather) round about 1994 at the old 9:30 Club in Washington DC. We had just moved to the area then, but we discovered Drunken Boat a couple of years earlier while living in Tempe, Arizona. Also saw you read some poems at a Tower records in DC and we chatted with you a bit then.

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home