Friday, October 06, 2006

My Reading in Nice

Tonight went as well as could be expected. I read from my novel Dirt along with a few poems from Night Fritters and then I did an question and answer period that went on a bit longer than I anticipated. It seems that several people in the audience were really into psychoanalysis so they kept asking me theory based questions that really had nothing to do with my poetry. It made me feel a little trapped and angry. By the end of the allotted time I simply excused myself and made my way to the dressing room where I was later joined by Michelle and some friends of mine from Nice, Gilles and Pierre. The four of us snuck out and went to a local bistro where we had a delicious fish stew along with some of the best bread I've ever eaten.

I left a little early and walked around Nice for several hours listening to Vetiver and M Ward while being amazed that I'd traveled this far to be paid to do just a few readings. I miss my life back in Brooklyn. I did manage to make a deal to get Night Fritters published by the French poetry publisher named Comme that Gilles acts as an editor for, so that was a piece of rather good news. Now if I can just get someone in the States to publish it.

Here's a photo that Pierre took of the audience as I was reading tonight (Gilles is the one with the headphones on, he recorded the whole evening).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was there and I am young. Todd you were great!

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home