Thursday, April 07, 2011

Manhattan Poem

Ride with me on a pony through Manhattan,
we'll lift the manhole covers
and say hello to the people working
on the wires down there.
We'll throw twisted flowers
by the bunches into the fancy
stores along Madison Avenue.
The retail world is for the birds!
We'll ride up to the Cloisters
and be proud of our middle-aged delinquency.
We'll take the whole day away from work.
Our methods of freedom will become all the rage,
written about in the trends section of every paper.
Heaving breasts with hearts beating
under bright white ribs. You'll never
see my ribs unless I have a bad accident
in front of you so you'll have to take my word
for it: my ribs are white and gently curved.
My heart too, you'll never see that
either, but you'll have to take my word
for it: it's there and beating all red
and throbbing doing that stuff a heart does
so well. Oh, just meet me in Manhattan,
I'll be on that pony and I'll bring a sandwich
just for you, my love.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful poem!

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Joanna said...

Nice bright white ribs, Todd!

8:28 PM  
Blogger caro said...

so loving beautiful...

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto!!!!

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home